Donald Algernon William Hamilton
- Born: 20 Jan 1910, Ilford, Essex England
- Marriage (1): Hilda Eileen Foster on 2 Jun 1936 in St Johns, Ilford, Essex England
- Died: 10 Feb 1990, St Georges Retreat, Burgess Hill, West Sussex England at age 80
• Interests: travel, chess, cricket, reading.
• Residence: 40 High Road, 1910, Ilford, Essex. Registrar: J.Farnon
Registration district: Romford. Sub-district: Ilford, Essex
Registration date: 2nd March 1910
Informant: A.P.Hamilton, father
• Education: Cleveland Road Junior School, 1916, Ilford, Essex.
• Education: County High School for boys, Between 1922 and 1927, Ilford, Essex.
• Residence: Larigan, 15 Coventry Rd, Between 1929 and 1933, Ilford, Essex.
• Occupation: Chartered Accountant, 1936 onwards, Bexhill-On-Sea, Sussex. Turner, Hamilton & Wilton, Bexhill-on-Sea
Lincolns Inn Fields, London
• Residence: 34 Alstow Road, 1936, Ilford, Essex.
• Residence: 19 Devonshire Road, 1938, Bexhill-On-Sea, Sussex.
• Residence: 6 Richmond Grove, Between 1939 and 1947, Bexhill-On-Sea, Sussex.
• Residence: Spindles, South Cliff Avenue, Between 1947 and 1961, Bexhill-On-Sea, Sussex. Phone: Bexhill 2342
• Occupation: Company director, 1950 onwards, London. Heals, Tottenham Court Rd, London
• Residence: White Knights, Popps Lane, Between 1961 and 1982, Bexhill-On-Sea, Sussex. Phone: Cooden 3555
• Residence: The Penthouse, Tobago, West Parade, Between 1982 and 1988, Bexhill-On-Sea, Sussex.
• Illness: Alzheimer's Disease, Between 1982 and 1990, Bexhill-On-Sea, Sussex.
• Residence: St. Georges Retreat, 1989-1990, Burgess Hill, Sussex. Had to go into a home for care when he had advanced Alzheimer's disease
Obituary Bexhill-on-Sea Observer, Thursday March 22 1990
DEATH MARKS END OF AN ERA
The announcement of the death of Donald Hamilton at the age of 80 marked the end of an era of the Bexhill business scene.
He was the founder of the accountancy firm Hamilton and Wilton.
He came to Bexhill to start the practice in 1935.
His first office was in St. Leonard's Road, under the grand title Hamilton and Co, which was somewhat illusory since he was on his own.
As the World War ll position continued to deteriorate all thoughts of a Bexhill accountancy business had to cease and he took a job in London.
In Bexhill, now under the names of Turner, Hamilton and Wilton, his offices were moved to Eversley Road. Eventually, the company settled in Wilton Road.
The most enduring memory of Don Hamilton was his wit.
He lived at Popps Lane, Cooden until the last few years when he and his widow, Hilda, moved to the Penthouse, Tobago on West Parade. He is also survived by two sons and a daughter.
Donald married Hilda Eileen Foster, daughter of Percy Arthur Foster and Sarah Sharp, on 2 Jun 1936 in St Johns, Ilford, Essex England. (Hilda Eileen Foster was born on 11 Jan 1914 in Seven Kings, Ilford, Essex England and died on 16 Feb 2003 in Bexhill On Sea, East Sussex England.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
• witness: Officiator H Gray Witnesses Percy A Foster & J H P Hamilton.