Captain William Cox
(1764-1837)
Rebecca Upjohn
(1762-1819)
James Cox
(1790-1866)

 

Family Links

Spouses/Children:
1. Mary Connell

James Cox

  • Born: 1 Nov 1790, Devizes, Wiltshire England
  • Marriage (1): Mary Connell on 10 Jun 1812
  • Died: 16 Mar 1866, "Marion Villa", George Town, Tasmania Australia at age 75

  Noted events in his life were:

source. Mary-Ann Cook who writes:
James Cox was born in 1790 at Devizes, Wiltshire, England, and was the second son of William Cox, of Clarendon, New South Wales, who pioneered the first road over the Blue Mountains in 1815. William Cox was appoiinted to a Lieutenancy on 28th September 1797, and arrived in New South Wales on 11th January 1800 with his wife and some of his family on the "Minerva". James Cox, after completing his schooling in England, arrived in Sydney on 25th June 1804 with his elder brother, William, on the "Experiment". James Cox was granted the original part of Clarendon, New South Wales, at Richmond. His father, William, added to it, and erected the house and carried out improvements. James, having previously married Mary Connell in Sydney on 10th June 1812, settled in Tasmania in 1814, and in 1817 was granted 700 acres of land. He was also given an allotment in Launceston on which now stands Staffordshire House. In 1819 he pettitioned successfully for 6,000 acres of land which was to become Clarendon in Tasmania. This estate was later increased to 20,000 acres, by purchase. He proved himself a man of outstanding ability, he was appointed a County Magistrate in 1817, and was a member of the Legislative Council from 1829-1834. In 1856 James represented Morven in the First Elective House of Assembly.
His first wife, Mary, died in 1828, and a year later he married Eliza Eddington, nineteen-year-old daughter of Lieutenant Governor Collins, who brought the estate of Fernhill into the family. James had nineteen children - 4 sons and 15 daughters, from the two marriages. Only one son, John born 1813, reached adulthood; he died as a result of a hunting accident in 1853.
James Cox played an important part in establishing Merino sheep in Tasmania, and was probably the first man in Tasmania to have a pure Merino stud. They were bought from Macarthur of Camden, New South Wales, but were part of an importation made by Macarthur from the Electoral Stud at Hamburg. In 1829 he imported the ram "Newton" which had a marked influence on the Clarendon flock. This ram was the only survivor of a flock which perished during an exceptionally rough and long voyage from England. Forced to live on ship`s biscuits, the ram shed fleece, and was kept alive sewn up in a canvas! Some of the Clarendon flock was subsequently acquired by James Gibson of Belle Vue, and was regarded as the finest in Australia at the close of the century.


James married Mary Connell on 10 Jun 1812. (Mary Connell was born on 6 May 1793 in Bristol, Somerset England and died on 16 Jul 1828 in "Clarendon", Evandale, Tasmania Australia.)


Clicky




Home | Table of Contents | Surnames | Name List

This website was created 21 Mar 2022 with Legacy 9.0, a division of MyHeritage.com; content copyrighted and maintained by robynbray@ozemail.com.au